In The Buildings of England by Pevsner, Cleatham Hall is mentioned as originally being a plain Georgian box and was rebuilt in 1855 in the Palladian style by Mr Maw including a geometrical cantilevered stone staircase with cast iron balusters. The garden is also mentioned being of rich in Victorian lushness.
The Maw family owned Cleatham Hall until the 1960's. Wing Commander Roger Maw was the famous Wooden Horse hero of Stalag Luft 3 in the Second World War.
Another historical connection to the Hall is Erasmus Darwin, grandfather of Charles, whose family owned it in the the 18th century.
Now, after over 150 years as a family home, this classical revival style, Grade II listed building has been carefully restored and transformed into a boutique hotel and exclusive-use venue catering for weddings, special occasions, bespoke events, business gatherings and well-earned breaks.